Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Learning Week





It's been a long week to say the least this week. We've been busy with Noura, trying to get the computers set for Africa before we ship them, and buying all the things to put in the crate before we send it off to Africa next week. We are reserving tickets next week (cannot purchase them yet, because we do not have enough money).

Ahhh...money. I am about to go on a bit of a tangent of what I've learned this week. I've attached pics of Noura for those of you coming to this blog just to see her pics. I'll try for this to be the last of my "personal" blogs, and continue just updating on Noura. But this week, I can't.

One thing I've learned-(this is NOT just about us and Africa, this is just why im thinking more about it)

-people pretend they care about people and things such as social justice, womens rights in other countries, orphans, poor,etc. BUT they don't. It just makes you feel smarter talking about it. Let's really think about it. How often do we help others really? Myself included in this tangent. I have been ashamed of myself as well this week.

We say we are against abortions (some do, some dont, but I dont know anyone who thinks its a great idea), and how sad it is for children to be in orphanages. BUT how many are willing to adopt, foster or even sponsor a child?

I had some friends talk about how moved they were after watching American Idol Gives Back. A friend asked "how much money did you guys call to donate" One by one, everyone said "nothing". Isn't that so normal? Out of sight, out of mind. Things are sad, but we arent willing to change them or think someone else will. But NO ONE will if no one takes a step to make a change.

I complained last week about money. I am overwhelmed that we still need over $14,000 before we go to Africa. And I am sad that people have not been giving how we'd hoped.But I'm also ashamed that I complain about our bills, etc. when I have NO idea what it's like to truly have NO money! But we complain about it alot, I hear it ALL the time, but I don't have one friend that I truly believe knows what poor actually is.

But in the end I do believe we truly want to care, and just need to remind ourselves how. We are truly grateful for those who have helped us and prayed for us. We are so thankful for our house church brainstorming ways to help us get to Africa. I am moved to tears to hear that my nieces searched for money around their room and piggy banks to help us out. And I know that God will find the money for us to go, even if it is last minute and my sanity is tested.

Ok, tangents done

Tomorrow Noura is going to get her GI tract checked out. Please pray they find the problem for her constant regurgitation (we no longer call the mass of nastiness spit up) and it can be easily fixed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Betsy,
I am glad you expressed your true feelings and frustration about the Africa trip. But rather then assuming no one cares about helping others, have you considered that it might be the cause?

A radio station seems like a frivolous way to spend $15,000 in a country that has so many other needs.
Think about what $15,000 could buy
-mosquito nets
-irrigation systems
-drinkable water
-malaria medication
-disease prevention
-birth control
-public waste disposal

While "true" poverty does not exist here, you are quick to assume that we do not know what it is to be poor. Many of us have gone without and have struggled, but have never had to watch our children die because we cannot afford to feed them.

But again, a radio station will not change their lives or make it easier for them to live. Maybe that is what you should pray about.

We love you and care about your family but can not support everything you do!

Anonymous said...

Dear weak one who needs to hide,
It's interesting that this person plays the game of care, but obviously hides behind a lack of experience of long term life, having to hide behind not even giving their name. The impact of radio can do far more to raise even greater finances and awareness. The difficulty of these blogs is the weakminded people who who hit and run, showing where their own heart really is, not with people, but their own control. So many leaders in churches and organizations focus only on what THEY determine are the gifts and causes to be most important rather than what affirming the whole. We all love control...just some more than others...obviously.