Wednesday, December 5, 2007

we need to change

For those of you who live in Indy and watch the news, I'm sure you have heard about a little girl who was killed. This has been really heavy on my heart. It breaks my heart that any child has to have their life ended whether in the womb, as a baby, or a child. It breaks my heart that a person has so much hurt in their soul, that something like this could happen. It breaks my heart that people hear about it and automatically tag judgements "what a terrible mother", "i could never do that" "why didn't CPS keep her away". The truth is we are ALL capable of sin. We ALL have it in us to do harmful things. If you disagree, then you are a liar. But what makes me the most sad, is we ALL talk about it, but when do we actually DO anything about it?I think we believe that the government should do their part, but they can only do something after the fact. I believe that we, as Christians (and those of you who aren't, then as human beings) should do something. I know that when I am tired or frusterated, I can call a friend, or have my family come and help out. Some people don't have that. How can you expect people do any different than they have seen their whole life? I am not sure what to do about this situation, but I believe that this is our responsibility. We need to LIVE in our community, and build relationships with people, and see what we can do to help each other. And not to make people your "project" or "mini mission", but to do what you would like done to you. Watch a neighbor's child, so she can get out of the house and take a break. Answer the phone and let someone vent to you, to know that they are being heard. Make dinner one night for someone so they don't have to plan and take the time to do it. And don't just do it for the population that you think "need" it. Do it for everyone. We all need help. We all need suport. We all need to know that someone is on our side. We all need someone to go to when we are tired or frusterated. We all need to get out of the house sometimes. How would you be if you were completely alone? What would you do if no one ever cared, and make you think you mean nothing to the world? I hear people say "Be Christ to someone", but are we? Did Jesus sit around talking about all of the sad things in the world to people? Did he judge how horrible we were, and expect us to know what no one taught us? He LIVED LOVE. Period. He showed us that there is hope in the world, and love greater than any of us can give. And if we do not show that love, then there is no point in having it.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Amen. beautiful challenging words, sister. I was about to say "I bet your dad is so proud of the woman you've become" and then I realized that your Father is also saying "well done". May the same be said of Noura some day. love, Ang

Angela said...

Amen sister.

francie said...

Betsy
Thanks for being bold enough to speak the truth no matter what others may think. We have all been on the edge and you are right if anyone says they haven't they are not being truthful. We are supposed to be there for each other and especially those that have no one.
Blessings and love
francie